Saturday, February 27, 2010

Eric Clapton (bust)

Well, as the wise Dude says, "Sometimes you eat the b'ar, and sometimes the b'ar eats you". My usual routine of pacing the sidewalk at show time let me down tonight, making this the first time I wasn't able to get a ticket for the Sommet Center ever.

There are a few factors that have to fall into place and tonight none of them did. First, the crowd was way too long in the tooth. These types of people go to one show a year, buy a ticket for them and their wife, and think an extra ticket would be ridiculous. And even if for some reason they were to have one, they're not taking one cent less than what it says on that ticket, even if they have to take it in. Another setback was the actual price of tickets. The cheapest ones were 72 bucks, and it appeared that a lot of people were willing to pay that as it was pretty close to sold out. The ratio of extras to buyers was way out of whack, there were people everywhere trying to buy. I even saw a dad teaching his two young boys the fine art of ticket finding, which although it was hard to compete with that, I like to see kids learning the ropes.

I guess I'm not too upset about missing this one, definitely not worth 72 bucks if all I really wanted to hear was "Crossroads". This was really more of a concert bucket list thing, not knowing how many more chances I will get to see Clapton, even if half of his catalog bores me and the other half is played so slow nowadays that it's more of a novelty. I guess for now, I'll have to settle for cheesy cell phone commercials, televised relief events, and geezer reunions.

3 comments:

  1. Dude, you dodged a bullet. Clapton hasn't been relevant in decades. (I say this as someone who has a Cream CD in regular rotation.) Need proof? Check this shit out:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh4n1bZi4d8

    I might enjoy a Clapton show if I took a handful of Quaaludes and had someone chop my balls off. Might.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I hear a foghorn... BORING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete